- Dentists divide the mouth into quadrants, and the eighth tooth in each quadrant is the wisdom tooth.
- The eight-track cartridge tape was the first truly portable form of recorded music. It was replaced by the smaller cassette tape in the early '80s.
- Eight is the atomic number for the most vital element: oxygen.
- Hall of Fame 49ers quarterback Steve Young wore No. 8, making him as revered in Asia as he was in the Bay Area.
- All spiders have eight legs and all octopuses have eight arms. But you will never see a spider and an octopus together, except in some of China's most exotic restaurants.
- The Magic 8 Ball - a cross between a crystal ball and something you'd find on a pool table - contains an icosahedral die with 20 possible answers, including "Don't count on it," "Signs point to yes," and the perfect Beijing weather forecast, "Reply hazy, try again."
The greatness of the number 8
Image via WikipediaMercurynews.com has gone to great pains to find out Why eight is great
at 2:15 am